Monday, June 15, 2009

Role Players

On the wall of my office I have a sign that reads: TEAM- Together Everyone Aggravates Me. This is my response to the motivational poster of a few years ago that said "together eveyone achieves more". My interpretation is funnier, but the original is more accurate in general. (Specifically, everyone does aggravate me, but I've dealt with that in previous posts.)

Last night the Lakers won the NBA championship. Kobe Bryant was the MVP but he didn't win the championship. The Lakers did. We saw last year that Kobe can take them a long way, but not all the way. This year, we saw that LeBron James can take Cleveland a long way, but not all the way. Even Michael Jordan's Bulls were bounced from the playoffs early until he had a supporting cast. Then for several years they were unstoppable. This year, many players who have much less talent than Kobe contributed in valuable ways at critical times to bring about the championship.

I have always been one of those less talented guys. I do a lot of things okay, but I am not the best at anything I do. I have always had respect for the role player; the guy who contributes to the best of his ability at critical times to help the organization. The stars need role players or the team will never reach the top.

Church is a lot like that. Everyone of us has a role to play. Just because we can't preach to thousands or sing and play an instrument, we still have a job to do and a role to fill. Everyone doing what they can do with the best of their ability will get much done. There are many more role players than superstars. But there are no true superstars without the role players.

No comments: