Friday, June 12, 2009

Country Clubs

I would make a great country club member. When I was a boy the company my dad worked for furnished him a membership at Twin Hills country club. I got to hang around there quite a bit. As an adult, I have been invited to play golf at a couple of country clubs. I like it. I think I could fit in. I have a college degree and a good vocabulary. I can hold my own in conversations about a variety of topics. I know how to steer clear of controversial subjects and the proper time to use the various forks that are arranged around my chilled salad plate. I have a decent golf game and understand the etiquette and rules. I understand the workings of business and finance. While I don't enjoy politics, you won't lose me quickly in a political discussion. I can dress appropriately for any but the most formal of affairs. It would be very comfortable and enjoyable to drive into the country club parking lot knowing that the hired help's only goal was to see to my needs while I enjoy socializing with other people like me. The screening committee would make sure that no one unworthy of associating with us would ever receive membership. That's important for maintaining decorum and the good name of the club.

I don't have the money to join a country club, but I do go to church. If I give in the offering each week, don't I have a right to expect good service from the pastor and his staff? Shouldn't they be seeing to it that I have a good experience from the time I arrive until the time I leave? Shouldn't they be screening the riff raff so that I have no uncomfortable moments while I worship?

You who know me know I am being facetious. I believe the biggest challenge that we, the Church here in the U.S. have before us is how we transition from the country club mentality to one where we expect to rub shoulders with people whose political, sexual, and ethnic worldviews may differ radically from our own. How do we become a community of believers and stop being religious consumers? How do we get to being more concerned for the whole body of Christ and less concerned about our own individual opinion? The implications of this transition are mind boggling. Let me know what you think.

No comments: