Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grace Allotments part2

I try to be an observant driver. I try to look at situations unfolding around me and if I can, to help traffic flow. Occasionally I will spot a motorist who is in a jam by realizing too late that the need to turn, but he is in the wrong lane. If I see it in time, I'll try to stop and wave the person over and allow them to complete their manuver, compliments of me, the awesome grace dispensing driver. The way it is supposed to work in my world is that I hold up traffic, and wave at the distressed driver to do what he needs to do. The driver sees what this impossibly gracious person is doing and realizes that the only reason they are not put in the horrible position of going to the next intersection, or even worse, having to turn around, is because I am so awesome and I am letting them off the hook for their lack of attention to their driving responsibilities. This should result in a friendly wave and a mouthed, "THANK YOU!" The driver goes on, humming Kumbayah because of this small dose of unmerited favor from the friendly stranger in the green Tacoma.

What happens, in reality, is that I wave, the person makes their manuver, and then drives off as though my allowing him to move over is what I am expected to do. No wave, no expressed appreciation. Sometimes the light turns red while I am allowing him to do his thing, and I have to wait for a light that I wouldn't have had to wait on if I had just driven on and ignored his plight.

That's just the way grace is. As much as I would like for grace to be reciprocal it isn't. It is totally unfair. Someone who has done nothing to deserve it has something really nice happen to him. Someone like me. Someone who had someone give up everything and be tortured to death so I wouldn't have to suffer the penalty for all the wrong I have done. How many times do I drive away from grace without a "thank you wave"? How many times do I get mad because someone else receives grace and it looks like all the world to me that they are just getting off the hook? Grace is a scary concept to nice people like me. I would like to determine who gets grace and the appropriate grateful response. But I don't get that. That is God's area and we can all be grateful for that. He has plenty of grace for everybody and He loves to give it freely. Even to college students who may shout a curse at an old lady who commits the sin of inconvenience against him.

No comments: