Wednesday, June 24, 2009

High School Reunion

Last week was the 35 year reunion of the Putnam City High School class of 1974. I didn't attend. I had other plans, but they could have been changed if I had really wanted to go. I had a good time in high school. Putnam City was and is a very good public school. I feel I got an above average education. It was an enormous graduating class, numbering 925. I was fairly treated, and have no memories of great humiliation or embarrassment. It was at PCHS that I met Carole, the love of my life. So why, with all those good memories, didn't I want to go? It is because I didn't make any friends in high school, other than Carole, that I keep up with. There wasn't anyone coming I was dying to see. Isn't that awful? And it's all my own fault. I chose to be an anonymous student. It's easy to do in a big school. Show up for classes, make average grades, don't cause any trouble, and no one will remember if you were there or not. Then, 35 years later, you can envy those who still keep in close contact with their high school friends, even though they live in different parts of the country. My advice to young people in high school and college: Make lifetime friendships and keep them current. Not doing so is the only regret of my youth.

No comments: