Monday, June 8, 2009

Grace Allotments

It is no secret to those who have ridden with me that my Christianity is put to the test most when I am driving. They say that confession is good for the soul but bad for the reputation. I remember with great embarrassment a time when I was in college at CSU (now known as UCO) and I was turning left onto Broadway. There were two lanes turning left and I was in the outside lane. The lady in the inside lane swung across to the outside (my) lane and I had to touch the brakes to avoid her. She gave no indication that she realized that she had inconvenienced me. I shouted at the top of my voice (which can be pretty loud) "You old lady! You ought to be shot!". I realized that my truck windows were down when I heard my voice echo off of the business in line with my invective. I was embarrassed and realized that I was not being a "good witness". I don't think I really thought that she should be shot. I just thought she should be aware that she inconvenienced me and that she should be sorry that she inconvenienced me. An apology or a "sorry wave" would have helped. I never got one from her. Since that day I make it a point to maintain my car's a/c so my windows are always up. It's been more than 30 years now since that episode, and I haven't heard my voice echo when cursing an old lady in all that time. It doesn't mean that I haven't been guilty of having a bad spirit while driving, though. I'll try to put some sort of positive light on this in tomorrow's post.

No comments: