Thursday, June 4, 2009

Am I a Liberal? (A purposefully provocative title)

The past 8 or 9 years I have spent in reading the Bible, contemplating on and studying theology and beliefs, and working through hard questions. As I prepare to teach the Essential Christianity class in the next session of Catalyst, I have come to realize something that seems quite strange. I have a deeper and stronger belief in God while at the same time feeling like I have fewer concise and absolute answers to spiritual questions. I'm sure that this will come out during the class. I'm hoping that as the instructor I can lead others to a deeper and stronger belief in God without appearing to be wishy washy. Because I'm not. But I have realized that no scriptures can be shouted at an unbeliever with positive results. Am I becoming the dreaded "social gospel liberal theologian"? I have found that the only thing I can really do for someone whose beliefs differ from mine is to lead them toward Christ. It is the Holy Spirit's job to lead them to a new conclusion.

1 comment:

Chris E W Green said...

Randy,

Isn't it strange that as your relationship with Christ deepens and solidifies your trust in your own opinion begins to crack and shrivel? Confidence in God explodes certainty, it seems to me.

I have no doubt that because you speak from this place, you will help those you're teaching.