Monday, March 3, 2008

Giving away the church

I made a statement while making announcements on Sunday that I want to expound upon. I said that children and youth ministry are among the most important ministries that we have. I then said that the church belongs to them, not us. Every generation since the first new testament church has faced the decision of whether to "freeze" the church as it is so we will feel confortable worshipping in it, or to "give it away" to the next generation so that the church will go on after our passing.

When I was a young adult, the middle aged leaders of the church willingly handed the creative direction of the church to those of my generation. We were given freedom to express ourselves in creative and non-traditional ways, and as a result, we had an incredible level of buy-in from those of my generation. Looking back and remembering some of the things we did, I know that some of what we did had to be uncomfortable for the Kenneth Reeds, A.C. Easons, Glen Officers, and Tommy Coys, among others, who were in leadership, but allowed our freedom. I know now what a tremendous gift they gave. They gave away a church, and as a result, it stayed vibrant even after their time of daily influence passed.

Tomorrow I will continue on this thread.

No comments: