Monday, March 3, 2008

Giving away the church Part 2

The generation who gave away the church to me and my generation took a step of faith and did something that was completely unselfish. It is up to my generation to do the same. I understand the reluctance of those who are uncomfortable with the idea of giving away the church. There are several reasons for this discomfort.



First, we still feel contemporary. It is hard for us to imagine that the way we did church in the 70's and 80's won't connect with today's young people, because it affected us so deeply. It was so real, so fresh, so powerful, and so deep. I remember our youth choir singing upbeat, contemporary songs; one of them even had the word "groovy" in it. It was as though the gospel was written just for us and our lives were transformed by it. Even today, when I am going through a troubling time, many of the choruses and songs from that time are a "haven of rest" for me. (But not the song with "groovy" in it.)



I would ask the generation to whom the church is being given not to be too harsh when we have trouble believing that you don't care for our songs. But I willingly give them away if the songs of today will mean as much to you as my songs do to me. Sing them any way you want to as many times as you want to, just get them in your spirit so they can be there in future years as your "haven of rest".



Tomorrow I will continue.

No comments: