Sunday, February 1, 2009

Why Sudan?

(This was written prior to departure)
We are now headed to the Dark Continent- Africa. We will be entering Africa via Nairobi, Kenya and then taking a charter plane to southern Sudan. Carole will be working with children in several villages and I will be with a building team in another village. The people are nomadic and speak Arabic and local dialects. February is the hottest month of the year in Sudan. We'll work in Sudan for a few days then back to Kenya and do the tourist thing by going on safari. I don't know what to expect from Sudan. Sudan has been on my heart for 5 or 6 years now, so I'm glad to get the opportunity to put my feet on the ground there. We will not be in the Darfur region, and I am disappointed by that. Neither will we be in the area where the majority of the persecution of Christians is taking place, and I am disappointed by that.

My good friend Matt Wilkie reminded me of a verse via facebook; Ezekiel 16:49- Sodom's sins were pride, laziness, and gluttony, while the poor and needy suffered outside her door.

No mention of the sexual perversions we typically associate with Sodom. The sin of Sodom was feeding their fat face and making sure they had the best of everything while people were starving. I'm convicted.

No comments: