Wednesday, February 11, 2009

1st Impressions


When my daughter's mother-in-law (there should be a shorter name for that relationship) invited Carole and I to go on this trip I really didn't know what to expect. When I lead a team, I research the area in which we will work and know quite a bit about it prior to leaving, but I was just a team member this time, so I went with little information about where we were going or where we would be staying. I know that Sudan has been on my heart for several years. There have been many reports of civil war and persecution of Christians, with the poverty, disease and loss of hope which always follow such trouble.


I learned a lot about Sudan during my few days there, but the biggest thing I understand is that I have no understanding of the depth of the trouble or any possible solutions to the dilemma. I saw that Hope for Sudan, the organization I worked with , is doing their own small part to relieve suffering and bring hope to people who have received much suffering and little hope. I applaud their efforts which are compelled by the love of Christ. I don't know if they have even scratched the surface of the situation, but they are over there scratching, and that is a lot more than most of us are doing.

No comments: