Thursday, February 12, 2009

Good People

I always enjoy meeting people, especially if they have something to say. Notice I didn't say I like people who talk a lot, I said people who have something to say. I met some people on my trip to Africa who fit this description. I met a pastor who is allowing God to use him in a significant way through a multi-site church in a part of the country not usually thought of as multi-site territory. I enjoyed getting to know him and I appreciated the things he spoke into my life. He noticed some things about me I had been wondering if any one but me could see.

I met another great guy who was a little challenged by African plumbing styles. He nearly caused an international incident when he mistook a shower stall for a toilet. However, a profuse apology and some serious scrubbing defused what could have been an ugly incident.

I got to know another pastor who spent the better part of two days slinging a grass cutting blade in the hot Sudanese sun to help clear an area for a compound. He did it with joy even when he was given the option to do something else.

When you look for good people, they seem to be everywhere. When you look for goobers they are easy to find. When you look for troublemakers, they are everpresent. It's no problem to find the kind of people you want to hang out with.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I seriously can't wait until our next conversation...whereever/whenever that will be. I look forward to hearing more stories from this adventurous trip. Thanks for sharing these.