Thursday, January 22, 2009

We're getting comfortable with them

I realized last night as I watched the Thunder win their game with Golden State on a Jeff Green buzzer beater that I am now very comfortable pulling for our NBA team. It wasn't always that way. I was one of the people who was crazy for the Hornets during their two season visit to OKC. They were good for us and it seemed that we were good for them. We loved Chris Paul, Tyson Chandler, David West, Desmond Mason et al, and everything Hornet. The games were exciting during play and during timeouts. Their name was fun, and the Honeybees were hopelessly cute and energetic. I really hoped that it would work out where they could stay here.

Then the Sonics were purchased and there was the drama of when they would come. I still harbored dreams that a last minute deal would bring the Hornets to OKC and send the Supersonics to New Orleans in two years. It didn't happen. The "team to be named later" was coming. I was not impressed by the name Thunder. I didn't like the logo. I didn't know the players, (except Desmond Mason). I pined for the Hornets. But last night I realized that I like the Thunder. I haven't thought about the name, recently. I am okay with the logo. The games are fun. The young team is coming together and playing competitive basketball. I like Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook and the rest. I would hate to see them leave.

This is a lot like a pastoral change in a church. When a pastor leaves, whether it is by good or bad circumstances, there are a lot of emotions involved. When a new pastor arrives, he is constantly compared to the former guy, whether it is positive or negative. People realize that he is now the person who is here, but they are not sure if they like him or can trust him. They miss old team members because they don't know the new team members. Maybe the new team doesn't "perform" as smoothly as the old team did. But, if given enough time, the team will begin to function. We get to know the new team, and gradually admit that it is possible to like them without being disloyal to the former team.

Statistics tell us that on average 10-12 percent of a congregation will leave when there is a pastoral change. Some have a true difference of vision and it is in the best interest of all involved if they find a place more in line with their expectations. But too many leave too early. They leave because they miss the way church was. They grieve for ministry team members they were close to. They don't like seeing people looking so happy about the new direction, because they liked the old direction. And they feel that they must leave because friends of theirs left so there must be something wrong. I wish that our church congregants could show the patience that our sports fans show when major change comes to their teams.

No comments: