Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Congratulations, President Obama!

I watched the inauguration this morning. I don't typically watch this sort of thing live, because I'm not all that interested in politics. I am, however, fascinated with history and today was an historic occasion. Although I chose not to vote for President Obama, and although I hold differing viewpoints on several issues, there is something that swells up inside of me as I realize how much has changed in my brief lifetime.

When I was a boy, it was commonplace to make comments or tell jokes which are now patently offensive. Even in church, it was acceptable to use terms which are now completely out of bounds. I remember changing words to certain songs sung in Sunday School and getting a laugh from my teacher. I wonder now how any of these actions were supposed to square with the gospel.

So to see now that we are ready to bring in President Obama with a greater mandate than we have seen in several elections speaks to progress. It is sad that much of the church world had to be dragged toward this progress. We should be at the forefront of "judging a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character". Regardless of your political persuasions, President Obama is our president. You can't say, "He's not my president, I didn't vote for him". He is America's president, and if you are an American, he's your president. I am praying that he will be the best president of my lifetime, and that God will protect him, bless him, and give him uncommon wisdom and understanding as he leads us through the many difficult challenges we face during the next four years.

No comments: