Thursday, January 8, 2009

National Championship Game

At this point I am sure that the national championship game is nearing its end and I don't have any idea of the score. I have intentionally kept myself from watching or even getting updates on the progress of the game. Those of you who know me know that this is extremely unusual behavior for me. The reason I am doing this is because I have let something that is intended to be a recreational diversion become something that is too important to me and I am doing something about it. In a way, I am fasting this game. In recent seasons, I have let my emotions erupt too quickly in these game situations. I cannot enjoy an OU game unless they are winning handily. I can enjoy a close game between teams in which I have no emotional investment, but I have seen myself become a person I don't like when OU plays. I have allowed ESPN commentators to send me into a rage when they have disrespected OU.

I have let OU football become an idol in my life. It has become far too important to me. I take the taunts and cheers of the other team personally. I want to hate the the other team, their coaches and their fans. I have to let it go. I hope that I can get to the place where I can just enjoy the strategy, the talent and the athleticism and enjoy the contest. If I can't, I've got to let it go. I've got to give it up. It's just not that important in the whole scheme of life and eternity.

No comments: