Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Missionary Friends

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from a missionary I had never met. He invited me for coffee while he was in OKC. I love coffee and I love missionaries, so how could I turn down a chance for a "twofer"? Anyway, today I met Tom and Jenni Keating, who are new missionaries who are raising their first budget to go to Mali, which is located in West Africa.

Tom and Jenni exemplified the best qualities I see in many of this new generation. I like that they knew that they had a call on their lives and waited for the destination that needed their giftings rather than focusing on a specific country and expecting to be accomodated. Also, they wanted to reach previously unreached people groups, which seems to be the hallmark of this generation. They, as many of our new missionaries are doing, are not applying to work in established locations which might provide easier living conditions and more fellowship with other missionaries. Rather, they are going to a difficult place with not much in the way of church infrastructure. Indeed, Mali Christians represent less than one percent of the population.

A lot of what I do at church is tedious and some of it is aggravating. Occasions when I get to have coffee with fully committed young people like Tom & Jenni are what keep my batteries charged. I want to do all I can do to help young missionaries like them. I am confident that the Gospel is in good hands with this young generation of missionaries. Remember to pray for them.

No comments: