Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Church that didn't change has changed

My dad lives in the house I grew up in. We moved in in 1959. It was a pretty new neighborhood then. Just up the street from that house a church was built. It must have been around 1962 or 63 because I remember when the foundation was being dug, there was a large hole in the ground and all the kids in the neighborhood played in that hole for a day or two. When finished, it was an attractive and modern looking building. It wasn't our brand of church, so we never visited there. A boy I went to grade school with was the son of the founding pastor. I have never been inside of the building, but I have ridden bicycles and minibikes for miles and miles on its parking lot. That building is one of the constants in the neighborhood. It always looked the same. The only changes were a new pastor's name when the founding pastor died, and sometime in the late 80's a rock garden was put on what was formerly a flower garden.

Now when I drive by it on my regular visits with Dad, I see a tired old building that is in disrepair. The fascia boards are rotted and falling off in places. The rock garden is filled with weeds. It doesn't look attractive and modern any more. It is depressing to me, because I remember when it was built. It's younger than I am. Buildings are supposed to last longer than that. As I said before, I have never set foot in the place but I can tell you its story by what I have seen over the years.

The church was built in the early 60's by a group of people who saw the need for a church in the neighborhood. Vision was cast, pledges were made, money was raised, and a building was built. With great excitement the folks began worshipping together. Their kids grew up and attended functions. They had lifelong friends at the church and they loved meeting together. They liked the way things were and never changed a thing. When their kids grew up, however, they didn't stay in the neighborhood or the church. They moved on. The original members, in their twenties and thirties back in 1962, are now in their seventies and eighties. Many have died off or moved into assisted living centers in another neighborhood. Attendance declined and finances dwindled. Now there are not enough people in the church to maintain the facilities, much less to upgrade them. And now a building, lacking maintenance, is deteriorating rapidly. Because they didn't change, the building is changing in a way that reflects what is going on inside.

I can tell you with certainty that not everyone in that neighborhood is going to a church. There is still a need for a gospel presence there, but the vision is not there. Vision was replaced with comfort and the enjoyment of long-time friends instead of building the Kingdom.

I am grateful that I don't see that kind of future for Highpointe. Our seniors are wonderful people who realize the need to "give the church" to the next generation. Our middle aged folks continue their financial and spiritual support of current vision. Our young people are passionate and gifted in ways that astound me. As we again begin to grow in excitement and numbers, our facility will reflect it. We are already talking years ahead about ideas to keep the outside appearance of our facility as an accurate representation of the spiritual heart which is beating inside. Stay encouraged and excited. Great days are ahead!

No comments: