Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bravo Highpointe!

You know, these are pretty good days at Highpointe. I know that we have had bigger attendance than we have now. I know that we have had more money in the bank than we do now. I know that we have had newer and better maintained facilities than we have now. But the 2010 edition of Highpointe has something in greater measure right now than we have had in many years- we have unbridled enthusiasm and unquenchable optimism.
Today we had our Spring It! outreach and it was by any measure a success. But I don't look at things the way many people do. I'm glad that many people came and got a haircut, a meal, a prize and maybe their face painted, but to me the most gratifying moments occurred after the event was officially brought to a close. Our Highpointe people stayed. They folded chairs. They stacked tables. They cleaned the kitchen. They hauled off the trash. And I'm not just talking about the few who had been roped into cleaning duty; many stayed and helped because, dogonnit, they like hanging out with each other, and this is their church. And they love it. Enough to work after the bright lights are turned off and no one is paying attention. This is their church. This is their family. I am tearing up as I type this because I know how precious this is and how hard it is to regain when it is lost. Thank you God for the unity, love, excitement, and optimism we have at Highpointe. And thank you God for letting me see it and be able to blog about it.

No comments: