Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Average is okay

I have always thought of myself as being adequate at many things. I often joke about eating being the only thing I do really well. But I don't stress over that too much because since I am willing to use my adequateness in many situations, I get to do a lot of different things, and since I do a lot of things, people think that I am above average.
By the very definition of the word, most of us are average. But many average people do many spectacular things every day. Very few extraordinary people do roofing, but a well installed roof will protect a house and its occupants for years. What goes wrong with average people is that we judge ourselves against the above average people we see. If we allow our comparison to the above average people to keep us from participating, we will miss out on a lot of experiences. I will always be a high handicap golfer. But just because I can't play at the level of the guys I see on television on Sunday afternoon, it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy playing golf.
Here is how us average people can become above average: Since the average person allows his averageness to keep him from participating in something that he is average at, participate. Just get involved. That alone will move you out of the average ranks into the above average ranks.
Stop using the thought that you aren't exceptional to keep you from doing something you want to do. By overcoming that average tendency, you will become exceptional. You don't have to be the best. You just have to give your best.

No comments: