Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How Do I Know?

How do you know when God is speaking to you and when it is just your own idea? In the past couple of years I have felt "called" to about a dozen different works or ministries at some time or another. For several days my thoughts would be consumed with how I would handle my new titles and responsibilities. I would think through strategies, plans for the first week, the first 90 days and the first year. I would think through staffing issues, budgets and logistical issues. Then, as swiftly as the "call" came to me it would leave.

Luckily, I didn't share my "call" with anyone, including Carole. I know how I am. I know that I need more than a strong impression in my mind before I make any moves. I nearly made a mistake a little more than a year ago. I was in the midst of daydreaming about one of these false "calls" when I was actually contacted by that ministry asking if I was interested in filling the position I was dreaming about. But I know how I am. With a couple of weeks to give a final decision, I was able to bear down in prayer and the night before the decision was due I felt strong leading from God that this was not where he was leading me. I turned down the opportunity and I have never regretted it. The person who filled the position is without doubt the best person for the job. I would have been miscast in that role.

I have been around young people who feel called to many different ministries today, only to be called to something else next week. Many operate under doubt or hop from call to call and never really gain any traction at what they do. I have developed two disciplines that help keep me from making the wrong decision. One, I operate under the principle of continuing to do the last call I am sure of until I am sure of a new call. Two, I will always wait a couple of weeks to see if the feeling passes. So far, nearly all of them pass and I realize that it was just my own idea. Right now, I am working at the last call that didn't pass. I'll continue do that until I know for sure that there is a new call for me.

No comments: