Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bothered by bad news?

I have many conversations with friends and acquaintances who are dismayed by what they see on the news or hear on talk radio. The leaders of nations such as Iran and Venezuela speak openly of their disdain and hate of America. Other nations seem to be capitulating to the demands of other exremist nations and we see a constant erosion of Western civilization. Many good folk have emotions ranging from rage to utter despair as they see the political and economic situation in the U.S. from the vantage point of their particular worldview.

If my ultimate future rested in any of these forces, I would be freaking out along with them, but I know that as citizens of the Kingdom of God we will ultimately be fine. For true followers of Christ, our citizenship is in heaven. We are merely resident aliens in the place providence allows us to live. If calamity revisits the U.S., my trust is in God. If bad guys take all of the stuff I have, and if the economic structure of the U.S. is completely dismantled and chaos insues, God is my provider. He will supply all my needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. If I am tortured, the Holy Spirit will give the peace which surpasses knowledge and will guard my heart and mind. If I am killed, heaven is my new residence. Pretty sweet deal, huh?

Psalm 2 says, Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord and against his Anointed One. "Let us break their chains", they say "and throw off their fetters." The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath...

What do I have to worry about?

No comments: