Thursday, April 10, 2008

Surgery vs. First Aid

There is no way that I will ever perform surgery for two reasons- I never wanted to, so I never trained to do it. But that doesn't mean that the entire medical profession is closed to me. I can do first aid. I can bandage a cut finger or a skinned knee. I have received training to do the Heimlich manuver and to do CPR, and I am ready even though I have not been called to do either at this point. Even though first aid is simple, that does not mean that it is unimportant. On the contrary, being able to clean and bandage a simple wound can forestall a greater medical situation later. By my first aid, an infection is stopped, and a medical emergency is headed off. I am not a medical professional, but I am a healer at my level, and I am effective at it.



In the church world, we sometimes have the idea that since we can't answer every theological objection that might be posed to us that we should not even participate in the discussion. But you don't have to know all the answers, if you know the Answer. You can give spiritual first aid. Just tell your story. People can argue your theology, but they can't argue your testimony. The ministry you do is just as valid as that of a ministry "professional". We receive our training from the pastors, because their responsibility as described in Ephesians 4:12 is to prepare us for acts of service, not to do all of the service. We can do the service we are prepared to do and be effective. Of course, we should always have the desire to increase our abilities, but go with what you already have. It's more than you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good word. Thank you for that today. As Christians we should not be "know it all's." Allow God to be that in your daily life.

Chris E W Green said...

Excellently put. This analogy helps make an important point clear.