Friday, April 18, 2008

It's Hard to Talk About

The vast majority of christians have never led another person to Christ. We have made it seem so difficult theologically that the average christian believes that he or she will never know everything needed to lead someone to salvation. Many believers are turned off by the "sales pitch" methods that have been taught. In these, the christian leads the "mark" down a road of simple questions designed to elicit affirmative answers before "closing the deal" with logical or emotional appeals that the person being "sold" cannot possibly overcome. That approach puts the person doing the witnessing in the role of a salesman and can become a situation where more pressure is exerted by the "soulwinner" than by the Holy Spirit.

It is so incredibly important that each individual believer feels comfortable sharing his faith with those who are not yet believers. But sharing faith should be as natural as sharing the passion that we have for "Scrubs" or the Yankees. I have had to ask myself some hard questions about my lack of faith sharing. Why is it so hard to talk about my faith in God and so easy to talk about golf? Do I really believe what I teach? If so, why don't I share that knowledge with others?

Ask yourself these same questions, and let's talk more about this, later.

2 comments:

Bambi said...

I have trouble feeling comfortable sharing my faith. I do not know why I feel that way. Maybe it's because I'm shy. I do not believe that I have ever witnessed. By the way, this is the first time I have made a comment. Do I get a prize?

R.B. Whitlow said...

Hey Bambi, Thanks for commenting. Now that you know how easy it is, you can do it all the time! It always makes me happy to know that people are actually reading my blog.