Saturday, April 19, 2008

I Hate Working Out

I went to the gym and worked out this morning. I try to do that at least twice a week. I have to make myself go and I really don't enjoy the working out experience. When I leave the gym I'm sweaty and out of breath. I'll probably be sore the next day. I often compare my physique to the young guys there and find that I am severely lacking in the "WOW!" factor. I will never sport a "6 pack". Usually I am starving when I leave the gym, and it's still 3 hours until lunch. Right after the workout, I don't see anything positive about working out. Why do I continue to do something that makes me dirty, hungry and sore? Because I have seen the long-term result of regular visits to the gym.

When I'm working out regularly, I have increased focus and energy. I can stay on task longer and get more accomplished. I have increased stamina and I can work harder and longer. I can hit the golf ball farther. My blood pressure and resting heart rate are lower. The long-term benefits of working out outweigh the short-term pain and inconvenience of the workout.

You know where I'm going with all this by now. I'll finish up tomorrow.

No comments: