Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Still in Peru

Today we watched parades in the Plaza de Armas here in Cuzco. June is a month of festivals which will culminate tomorrow with Inti Raymi. It celebrates the Winter Solstice. (Remember it is winter here in the Southern Hemisphere.) This afternoon I went to a fair which felt very similar to our State Fair, albeit much smaller. There were cattle, with the requisite dairy cattle, there were sheep, and there were pigs. What reminded me that we were not in Oklahoma were the stalls of llamas, aplacas and vicunias. There was a large building with booths where vendors did their best to gain your attention by shouting, amigo! amigo! so they could try to sell you their version of soya chicharrones or herbal tea.

Tonight we are attending a music concert which will feature bands of many different genres of music. It has been great. I have several ideas for posts concerning the early activities of rafting, trekking and paragliding, but I want to wait until I get home to do those. But I am anticipating my return home. I have loved every minute of my time here, but home is where Carole is, and she is not here. I also know that God has some new and challenging things in store for me and I cant wait to find out what they are.

No comments: