Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Saying Goodbye

This morning I said goodbye to the rest of the team. This group was really great. Each guy had something to contribute to the effort and to the conversation. Some were really fit and some were like me, but no one really got in someone else's way. Yesterday we went paragliding. I had anticipated that it would have an initial 10 to 15 seconds of terror before it got awesome but I was wrong. The wind filled the paragliding sail, I ran in tandem with my pilot and we were lifted into the air and began to fly without any noise save the sound of the wind rushing past my face. We caught thermals and rose. We turned and dropped. We flew over rivers and fields surrounded by mountains. Much too soon we headed down toward terra firma where some cattle were grazing. We passed just a few feet above a cow and came to a stop about five feet from a grazing bull. Niether seemed to be bothered by the close proximity of a duo of humans followed by a bright red cloud of nylon. We gathered up the equipment and walked a few yards to the road where I met up with Justin, one of the other team members. We recounted our experiences to each other as we waited for the van to come and pick us up.

This morning as we shared breakfast together, I realized that in the course of a week these guys who I ate chicken with just a week earlier (whose names I thought I would never get straight) had become friends. We have a shared struggle and shared victories and laughs. The members of this group are the only people who will ever be a part of this group ad I am richer for having been part of it.

No comments: