Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I like stories best

Last week I wrote about preferring words over numbers. I think I made my case brilliantly. But as we enter the realm of words, I feel that the highest and best use of words is when they are used in a story. I enjoy telling stories and love to hear a well-told story. Stories suck me in and cause emotions to swell. I find myself involved with the action. When I read a well-written story, I can actually "see" the setting and the characters, and can feel tension, apprehension, increased heart rate or excitement. It is as though I am there. I can remember stories long after the telling. Many of our deepest friendships are forged in shared experiences related in story form.

Eugene Peterson, in his book, "Christ Plays In Ten Thousand Places" says, "Stories are verbal acts of hospitality."

I like stories best.

No comments: