Thursday, October 1, 2009

Everything was contemporary at one time

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands,
His feet,Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
- Isaac Watts 1707

This hymn may or may not be familiar to you but it is significant. It is revered as one of the best loved hymns ever written for its powerful theology, vivid imagery and thrilling melody. It was among the first hymns written in first person. Until this time, songs sung in church were mostly theology set to ponderous music. Although they were accurate depictions of God and his love, they were sung about God. This song was sung to God. As such, it stirred up quite a contoversy. Such songs, with their description of a personal experience in God, were not appreciated by the church establishment, who thought it demeaning to God for an unworthy individual to sing directly to him. Churches were divided into churches who would sing this type of song and those who wouldn't.

So, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross", written in 1707, was at one time a contemporary song disliked by those who liked the style of songs they already knew. Who'da thought it?

Ecclesiastes 1:9- What has been will be again,what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the son.

No comments: