Friday, August 22, 2008

What am I supposed to do?

Today I got one of those phone calls I get every now and then. Pastor Mike usually gets the benevolence calls, but he was away from his desk, so it came to me. Usually I answer these calls with the expectation that I can do something to help. We try to assess the need, the legitimacy of the request, and our way of helping to meet the need at an appropriate level. We get several of these calls every week.

The guy who called today had called before and Pastor Mike had helped him with some rent. After that, subsequent conversations led Mike to decide that it was not good stewardship to give him any more. Today I didn't know any of that history when I talked to the guy. I listened to his story and asked him a number of questions. Without going into detail, I decided that we should not give him the help he was looking for. It was not a really difficult decision to make.

What was difficult, however, was the question that remains in my mind. What can I do for that guy? He is as well known and well loved by God as I am. As christians, don't we have a responsibility to help? I know all of the answers, I just don't know "the answer".

No comments: