Thursday, August 28, 2008

Please- No Politics in Church.

I don't like political discussions (arguments) between Christians. Here is why. If you are talking to someone who agrees with you, then what is the point? You just confirm one another and cement your belief that it should be clear to everyone that you hold the only position that makes sense. If you disagree politically with someone else, you feel a need to point out how uninformed, inconsistent or ignorant the other person's position is. After both sides fire their shots, neither side has changed their mind, but the potential for a wedge between the two exists. I have friends and family from both parties and from all along the political spectrum, and my friendship with them has nothing to do with their political views.

Committed Christians will vote for both McCain and Obama. Some will not vote at all but try to act like they dd. Some will not vote and tell you why they didn't vote. God is not aligned with either party. He is found in the hearts of those who follow Him.

I don't want to know who you are voting for or who you are not voting for. I am pretty sure who I will vote for, but don't ask. I watch the news just like you do. I have access to all the information that you do, including most of the forwarded e-mails. Voting preferences are not a litmus test for who really loves God and they should not be a litmus test to determine relationship between believers. We show that we love God by loving one another. And when we love one another, something as as unimportant as voting preferences doesn't matter. I understand that voting preferences are of supreme importance in political matters, but they are irrelevant to the advancement of the Kingdom of God. And I believe that each citizen, acting as a good citizen should cast an informed vote, but our eternal citizenship is in heaven.

I am glad that we have Christians working in politics. We need Christians working in every facet of life. It is the individual Christian living the Christian life in the workplace; being salt and light to their sphere of influence that will effect change that will last.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with almost everything you've said, save maybe this: "[voting preferences] are irrelevant to the advancement of the Kingdom of God." Perhaps more than disagree I'd just rather qualify the statement. I think our vote should be informed by a concern for the advancement of the Kingdom of God. I think we must realize, however, that no particular vote or non-vote will ever fully reflect our faith. There is no "Christian vote" (or non-vote, for that matter). All are inevitably less.

Also, bickering about politics will only create division, as you say. I do think that sincere dialogue about political issues can be accomplished. It is exceedingly rare to find it, though, so I've adopted much the same practice as you--avoiding it in almost all circumstances.

R.B. Whitlow said...

I accept your qualification. Our vote should reflect our values. But as you say, our vote cannot ever completely identify our values. We are never presented with a clear choice between good and evil or right and wrong. We are always presented with imperfect choices. Knowing this, it is easier to reconcile the concept of how two people who read the same Bible and attend the same church can arrive at opposite conclusions as to which candidate deserves their vote.

Anonymous said...

Agreed.