Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Camp Meeting

Last night I went to camp meeting for the annual missionary commissioning service. It is always a moving time for me when a particular field is described and the question is given, "Who will go?" Then the new missionary who is going to that field responds, "I will go!" As the missionary and family step to the platform, I can't help but get tears in my eyes as I realize the job they are taking on. This year there are three new missionaries. One, a single young lady is going to Thailand. Another, a single young man will be the Chi Alpha campus pastor for the University of Oklahoma. The third is a family with three beautiful little girls who are going to work in a children's home in the Philippines.

We heard a report that new missionaries are going to the field at a higher rate than veteran missionaries are retiring. That is good news. But what kept running through my mind is that we need to be partnering with these new missionaries. There are other missionaries who depend on the Oklahoma churches for their support that we do not yet support. Help me pray that God will show us how we can increase our involvement in supporting our missionaries.

No comments: