Saturday, July 11, 2009

We are all aliens- part 3

There are countries that allow double citizenship. There are people who have two passports and can claim allegiance to both countries. In a great sense, Christians have double citizenship. I am a citizen of the United States with all of the rights and responsibilities that come with that designation. But as a Christian I recognize that the U.S. is not my home. I am a citizen of the kingdom of God. Hebrews 11 refers to those who "admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. ...they were longing for a better country- a heavenly one." Knowing this, I must hold very loosely to the things of earth. I need to place my citizenship in God's kingdom as having a much higher place than my earthly citizenship. I am a resident alien wherever I go here on earth. If you are a believer, you are as well. Let's make sure to treat every people group we come in contact with with love and respect, because in reality we are all aliens.

No comments: