Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Back From Ireland

The team got back from Ireland last night. It was a really good trip at many levels. The team from Highpointe and the Irish team meshed well and both appreciated the hard work and sacrifice of the other. They ministered for 5 days for the St. Mark Fun Week. Similar to a VBS there were stories, games, crafts, songs and refreshments. In other words, a lot of hard, tiring work that they enjoyed thoroughly.

I was blessed to be able to spend an extended time with Gary Davidson, who I consider to be one of my spiritual mentors. I traveled with him for several days and met some incredible pastors who are reaching their cities in innovative ways. I was privileged to speak in one of the churches, located in Portlaoise. The young couple, James and Rachel are leading a growing and vibrant multi-ethnic congregation in an industrial space that they are transforming into a really appealing worship center. They have done an amazing amount of work in a brief time, but they still have a lot of work to do to finalize their project and complete the vision they have to reach their community. They need additional prayer support and finances to see this come to pass.

Sunday night I visited the Teen Challenge men's center at Tiglin. Once again I was struck with awe at the commitment of the leaders to bring God's transforming power to men who have been overcome by addiction. I was asked to speak at their chapel and was blessed to have that opportunity. They showed me a vacated and run down hostel that was adjacent to their facility and I heard of their vision to expand the reach of their ministry. This former hostel could be used to begin an internship program, among other things. It looks like a natural addition to their ministry. They have been faithful to develop what they have in their hands, and they are mazimizing the facility they have. But rather than just getting comfortable in their current situation, they want to expand to reach more men and offer a level of discipleship that they can't offer now. I have committed to pray with them for a miracle of favor and finance to allow them to occupy this territory for the Kingdom of God.

I know that I will post more about this time. I went looking for answers and came back with more questions. Maybe the questions are my anwers. I hope that doesn't sound too "zen".

No comments: