Wednesday, July 8, 2009

How can I know?

How many things do I believe in that I cannot prove? There are many. I cannot prove conclusively that the sun will go down tonight sometime after 9, but I know that it will. How? Because the sun has gone down every night of my nearly 53 years, and when it's July in Oklahoma and we are in Daylight Savings time it goes down sometime after 9pm. On the basis of that experience, I can predict with a great deal of confidence that the sun will go down tonight just after 9 even though I can't have absolute certainty. That kind of thought process is what we will go through tonight in the Essential Christianity class as we discuss How do we know God exists? Although you may not be able to see him or prove him you can be confident that He exists in different ways. Come and join the discussion tonight at 7.

No comments: