Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Turning Darkness into Light

While in Ireland, Carole and I went to see the Book of Kells. This is an ancient book, containing incredibly beautiful versions of the four Gospels, and it has survived since the 9th century. The theme of the display is entitled, "Turning Darkness into Light".  The brochure we were given contains a poem, written by a 9th century monk that was the inspiration for the naming of the display.

Pangur Ban

I and Pangur Ban my cat
"Tis a like task we are at;
Hunting mice is his delight,
Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than praise of men
'Tis to sit with book and pen;
Pangur bears me no ill will,
He too plies his simple skill.

Oftentimes a mouse will stray
In the hero Pangur's way;
Oftentimes my keen thought set
Takes a meaning in my net.

'Gainst the wall he sets his eye
Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I
All my little wisdom try.

Practice every day has made
Pangur perfect in his trade;
I get wisdom day and night
Turning darkness into light.

No comments: