Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Good Food is Good

I like unexpectedly good meals. Most of the time when I’m surprised, I’m expecting something good and what I get disappoints. Carole and I had just finished visiting Christchurch Cathedral, a 1000+ year old Anglican church in Dublin. We were in a part of town we hadn’t visited yet, so we thought “Why not get something to eat while we’re here in a place we probably won’t see again?” About two blocks away from the church we saw a place. I don’t even remember what the name was, but we looked at the menu taped on the front window and saw things we thought looked good and the price seemed fair. (Dublin fair; not Oklahoma fair. Everything is outrageously expensive in Dublin.) The place was very plain. Clean looking, but plain. They obviously don’t spend a lot of time creating ambience. This is low tourist season, so there is never a crowd in any place, so the fact that there was only one occupied table didn’t really bother us. We ordered. Carole got roasted turkey with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. I got the chicken curry. When it came out it looked good, and when we tasted it, it was delicious! We both ate every bite. Of course, we have been eating out every meal and after a few days each meal kind of runs into another, so for this one to stick out means that we really enjoyed it. OK, Dublin reasonable for a nice lunch was 16 euros, which equates to about 21 US dollars. I told you that everything is really expensive here.

 I am getting close to being ready to make and eat a peanut butter & honey sandwich in my own kitchen.

I got to see the book of Kells this morning, as well. This ancient book has survived a tumultuous millennium and still inspires. If you don’t know what the book of Kells is, google it.

Tomorrow we plan to go to the town of Howth and get a look at the Irish Sea. They are also supposed to have good fish and chips. I’ll find out.

No comments: