Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Scammers and benevolence

I just had a talk with a guy who came by the church. I knew before the end of the greeting that this was a guy who wanted some "help", meaning cash. As be began his story I was tempted to finish it for him because it is one I have heard several times over the past 5 years. Traveling from (fill in the blank any city at least 200 miles away) to (name another town at least 100 miles away), he encountered car trouble. He had the money to buy the part but it took all his cash and maxed out his credit card. In his hand he had a receipt from AutoZone for the part and the maxed out credit card for proof. His "half sister" was in the car and they had to make tracks because their dad was in bad shape. I have heard this story many times. I have seen the receipt. The trouble is, the receipt isn't a receipt at all. It is a quotation for the price of a part. Some of the guys will ask for you to pay for the part. The part is never located in the parts store close by, so just give him some cash and he'll get out of your way. There is no way to verify any of the story. I did what I usually do. I offered to follow him to the gas station across the street and buy some gas. If he'd said he needed money for food I'd offer to follow him to Homeland and buy some food. I seldom get taken up on those offers. He said he had enough gas to get where he was going but was worried about the trip back. I told him I could put some gas in his car but nothing else. He left.

The thing that aggravates me about this kind of scam is that it causes people to think that everything is a scam and validates their decision not to help anyone that they don't know personally. I have fallen for several of these over the years; at rest stops on the highway, in department store parking lots, and at church. I don't like being someone who mistrusts others. I don't like to dehumanize someone by refusing to make eye contact with them. I don't like having to make snap judgments about someone's character. Today was easy. I knew the scam and didn't participate. But so many times I really don't know how to respond. I don't want to miss an opportunity to help because I have allowed scammers make me hard and untrusting. I always think of the scripture in Hebrews 13:2 that says, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have entertained angels without knowing it." I would rather be too trusting and get taken than to get calloused and miss the chance to entertain someone Christ put in my path.

2 comments:

dsalley said...

Thats so true Pastor, its hard to see what is real and what is not. You offered everything safe for him. Gas for the car or food. He went to alot of trouble with the receipt and all. and always someone is sick. and they need to get home. remember the movie planes trains and automobiles. Steve Martin just wanted to get home for Christmas, and John Candy was just needing someone. It was a hilarious movie but so sad. He talked a good talk all of the time. always talking about his wife he was to get home too also. but she had passed away, and had no where to go. all they went through John did everything he could do for Steve so that he could get home to his family and John knew he would probably end up alone again on Christmas, but being humble Steve found away to his heart and decerned John he knew finally he had no one to go home to or no home. but when steve finally learned through all that he went through he had found a new friend. and invited him in for Christmas. and all ends well. But for all of us who see the people on the streets or corners we dont know until everytime we go by that same corner at the same time that same person comes out on it asking for money, then when he leaves another person takes over its like what you are teaching about now counterfiets. They are working it. There are so many places for them to go to get a meal. and i think there are not many workers for them, thats where we fall short. But wasnt it first that the people were to come to the church (not building) but thats where they were to start. and now its government when did that change and why? I have a list of many things here in town that will feed someone put gas in their car. help get their medications that are necessary, but they also need id to most of these places and they are on the computer. For some i guess it would be easy to go up and ask someone for money.

dsalley said...

Pastor, Once i had a guy i had never seen before this past summer. that weekend mike had already mowed and leaves werent falling much yet, and he came up to my door, with a rake in his hand and a folded trash bag. He asked me could i rake your leaves for a dollar? i said well i dont really have to many leaves but my neighbor has some leaves. if you would rake her small yard i can. honestly Mike had raked her yard. i wanted to see if he would do it. He did do it. so when he came back he said mam i raked your neighbors leaves and he opened his bag and he had a leaves in it. I told him thank you so much and handed him more money that he asked for and a cold bottle of water. and i stepped outside as he gulped his water down, i asked him if he needs to rest, he was welcome to set down for a minute and he said yes thank you mam, he was an older man. and it was hot out. but i asked him if he was from around here and he said he used to be, he had walked from wichita Ks. he thought maybe his family was stil living here. but he didnt know where they lived at but he needed enough money to stay the night somewhere cheap so he could continue to look for them. i asked him well what was their last name and i could look up in the phone book for you. he hesitated to tell me. and he said well i dont know if they want to see me or not. i said thats ok i will still look them up and i will give them a call to see if they would like to see you. so i asked him if he would like for me to give them a call. he he hawed around and then said yeah go ahead then i will know what they say. so i called them and exlplained who i was and they remembered me from the Pharmacy i used to work at, and i told them that i have a man here on my porch who says his name is so and so he is looking for you and would like to see you if you wanted to see him. There was a long pause. and the lady on the other end of phone started crying and i though i no now what did i start. you know me. no more works where spoke except where do you live so i told her and she hung up. i didnt know what was going to happen. a fight or shoot out or i thought oh mike is going to yell at me. i said well hailey shut the door. and whispered to her lock it dont open for any reason. she looked at me and said ooookkkk. but i could see her peaking out the front window. He looked nervous and i told him that the lady had just asked for my address. and oh about 10 minutes went by and pulled up into my driveway was a younger woman. she got out she was crying and he got up and seen her and she came running up to him and said daddy where have you been we have been praying for God to bring you back home. the man said well if you will have me daddy's home. i was balling and crying, and praising GOD there were no guns. lol. She thanked me over and over and to come to find out they havent seen him for about 9 years. he had been all of the place. one state to another. in hospitals and out. he left when their mother his wife had passed away. he couldnt stand it. well it was a beautiful ending. not what i was expecting but that i believe God put him on my doorstep he knocked i answered. no leaves really but i feel back that i had him rake the leaves next door but i was descerning him. i gave him the other cold bottle of water and they were in arm in arm. back together. you never know if its real or not but i kept on asking i dont know why but i do that. and he wasnt a counterfeit. He was the real deal in need of his family. They just thanked me and they thanked God for their prayers answered. i like the real deal. but getting to know if it is or not is sometimes you got to go the distance, the ones out of the ordinary are harder to read them. but this time I was right. and i know God had HIS hand in it all of the time. i dont know where they all are at now. but i hope together somewhere. But you did what you had to do and offered help. and so did i. i would like to get more of the real deals they are more sweeter to help. It was just the right timing.