Monday, January 23, 2012

How to be thankful

This morning Carole needed to take her car in for service. Nothing unusual there. A couple of hours later they called and said that it was ready. The problem was that she was now watching our grandsons and the car seats are in her car. We couldn't all load up in my pickup legally, and we couldn't leave the boys alone for the short time it would take to pick up her car. We had to get it done, because I needed to get to Guthrie and Carole would be coming up later to help with the stowing of Christmas decorations at church. No one in the neighborhood was available and our kids were at work.
I came up with a plan. The service place is only a couple of miles from the house. I would go in my truck, pick up Carole's car and bring it home, leaving my truck at the shop. Then I would hop on my bike and ride back to the shop, put the bike in the back of the truck and come back home. Mission accomplished and I got in a nice bike ride on a pleasant winter day.
While on the ride I began to thank God for the nice day to ride my bike. Then I thanked him for the guy who gave me the bike last year. Then I thanked him for the health that made it possible to ride the bike. Then I thanked him that we had two cars and the means to keep them serviced. And I thanked him that I had so many options at my disposal to get things done. I thanked him that I had a wife and grandsons that needed my help from time to time. By the time I got to the shop, I was truly thankful for all of the blessings that I have in my life. Being thankful isn't so hard.

No comments: