Saturday, May 22, 2010

Succor or Sucker?

Succor is a word that is not used much these days. It means relief, aid, or assistance. In the hours following last Sunday night's hailstorm my neighborhood was inundated with companies who professed to offer succor. They all promised to be my best friend, my advocate, and the repairer of my home. I couldn't help but wonder about some of them. I wondered if they were at my door to give succor, or were they there looking for a sucker? I prefer to give my repair work to someone I already know and have a level of trust with.

We should not think it strange when we meet someone who is skeptical when we make the offer of salvation. If we just show up offering a best friend, an advocate and the repairer of their lives, they may wonder if we are offering succor, or looking for a sucker. That is why preachers constantly hammer on the topic of relationships. When someone reaches a spiritual crisis moment, they are most likely to turn to someone they can trust to give succor. A stranger might just be looking for a sucker.

No comments: