Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oilfield Savior

Back in my oilfield days I did directional drilling. I had the knowledge and equipment to make a wellbore go in any direction and direct it to a target thousands of feet below the surface. I was involved in doing that on hundreds, if not thousands of wells during the 20+ years I worked in that business. I certified the legal bottomhole location of those wells without ever actually being at the bottom of even one of them to see if it was actually where I said it was.
I used to tell people that what I sold was faith. When I certified a result, it was not based on my actual visit to the bottom of the well; it was based on our industry proven methodology, the known accuracy of the instruments as they underwent calibration on the surface, and the best practices of the drilling operation. In other words, I could describe what we did. You had to believe that what we did actually acheived the results we certified. By being consistent and transparent in the way we did things we earned the trust of our customers.
Leading people to Christ is much the same way. I can tell them what the Bible says. I can give them instruction. But there is a point when each person has to believe that what the Bible says is true. That point where each person believes that by saying out loud that Jesus is Lord and believing in the depths of your heart that Jesus is the resurrected Savior is enough to receive complete forgiveness from sin. I can't take someone to that place in my heart where the evidence resides. I can only make sure that my life lines up with my words and that I am consistently and transparently living what I say I believe.

No comments: