Thursday, December 17, 2009

Playing Games

Both of my grandsons made an unexpected visit to the office this afternoon. Tyler, the oldest, wanted to play and we did. We went into one of the early childhood classrooms and played "cars" which consisted of picking all of the cars out of one of the tubs which contains cars. We looked at them and put them back in the tub. Then he wanted to play "dinos" which consisted of taking all of the toy dinosaurs out of the tub, looking at them and putting them back. We were playing "golf balls" which consisted of taking the four golf balls out of my desk drawer, and, well, you know the rest. It was while we were playing "golf balls" that his mother came and said it was time to go home.

Those games are fun for him. He gets what he wants out of those games. I enjoy being with him, but I can think of games that would be a lot more involved and enjoyable. I want to stack things, organize things, make them go, and maybe even crash them. But we play at his pace because he doesn't enjoy the games when he doesn't understand the purpose or context. Maybe when he gets older, he'll understand and enjoy more involved games.

I imagine that God feels the same way about me. I want to play my games according to my rules and quit playing when I decide I want to play something else. God enjoys me being with him, but I imagine he is always thinking, If you would just let me, we could play some really awesome and interesting games. The games you are playing now don't come close to maximizing what I have put you in contact with.

Maybe when I get older I'll understand.

No comments: