Saturday, August 8, 2009

Maybe I should have been a monk

I had a great time this afternoon. I was at the church for nearly five hours completely alone and it was awesome. I enjoy the company of people, and I never get tired of being with Carole, but I seldom mind being alone. When I used to have a shop building I could go to, a perfect day involved me doing stuff in my shop all day without speaking a word or anyone speaking to me. In a former life it was not unusual to travel 800 or more miles in a 24 hour period. I enjoyed the solitude. I would listen to local radio stations or find NPR and hear all kinds of interesting things that I probably didn't agree with. Back a few years ago I worked a project in South America and every night I spent by myself. I enjoyed having time to think, study and reflect. I can work a lot of things out if I have enough time alone. So, if you hear that I am somewhere all by myself, don't feel sorry for me. I'm not intimidated by the silence.

No comments: