Thursday, August 27, 2009

Faith Promise pt. 2

When we make a true faith promise, we are stepping out in faith to believe that God can provide a greater amount than we can commit out of our own resources. Now I know that that is a potentially dangerous statement. I have seen a lot of promotional material from various "faith" ministries that has made me sick to my stomach. "Brother (fill in the blank), in the spirit I see a supernatural blessing just waiting to be released to you if you will just step out in faith with a gift of $1500." I won't get into that now, but rest assured that the faith promise principle is no where close to that kind of nonsense.

Faith promise giving does not assume large amounts. Faith promise giving assumes a greater amount than you would decide on by yourself. It assumes that you have been in prayer asking God to lead you into a deeper faith walk with Him. And when you step out into faith promise giving, you are saying, "I can't give this amount, but I am believing that God will give it through me." In doing so, you have taken all of the burden off of yourself and put it on God. If God doesn't supply it, you don't give it. If He's not faithful, it's His problem, not yours. I've heard compelling testimonies from those who have experienced true faith promise giving. They tell of unexpected income, higher than expected sales, lower than expected expenses, and disposition of situations that sat dormant for years, all of which allowed them to meet their faith promise goal.

Now, there are ways to do this wrong. I'll talk about them tomorrow.

No comments: