Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Locking up

People who stay late after church have heard me gripe at them for staying so late because either Pastor Mike or me have to stay until everyone is gone so we can lock up. However, I gripe with a smile, because I am glad that people enjoy hanging out here. I used to feel differently. Until fairly recently I really was gripey about staying late. I felt I had a good point because I had put in a long day here at the church and I was ready to go home.Back in February Carole and I went on a mission trip to Sudan. While there, I met a pastor from Tennessee and we got to know each other while we worked stretching barbed wire. He told me of the standard that he holds his ministry team members to. He requires 40 hours per week of work during the day time. Evening or weekend ministry time, such as preaching, conducting services, worship practice, men's breakfasts, etc. were on top. Having a meeting with workers on Thursday evening doesn't mean the pastor can come in late on Friday if you are on his staff. I thought that sounded kind of harsh until he spelled out his reason. He said that his youth sponsors, Sunday school teachers, Children's ministry volunteers, greeters and other volunteers are doing their ministry after their normal work or life hours and they don't get to show up for work late the next day. That really caught me off guard, but when I thought about it, it is true and I have made it a rule for me. No longer do I try to get someone to feel sorry for me because I may have been at the church 11 hours. The people I'm talking to have also been working their 40 hours, taking care of families and households, and then they find the energy to volunteer their time to help the ministries of the church. So if they want to visit for a while, I figure I should be happy to stay.

No comments: