Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sentimentality

Thank you for asking, but, yes, I am aware that some of the shingles have blown off of the roof of the FLiC, and yes, I have called the insurance company and filed a claim.

Those of you who know me well know that I am very sentimental about memories and stories, and completely unsentimental about buildings and things. When the time comes to sell the house I grew up in and my dad still lives in, it won't be an emotional time for me. All of the treasures of that house are stored up in my mind. Trying to maintain that house as a shrine to my childhood memories would be a drain on what I am trying to do today and would be incredibly selfish.

If a tornado wiped our church buildings down to the ground, I would see it as an opportunity to build something that would reflect our current realities. You can't destroy the memories I have of growing up at Lakeside or the memories I have of raising my family there. I don't have to walk into a particular auditorium to feel like I'm at church. I want to pave the way for those who are assembling their memories, now. Their memories will be completely different from mine. I want to make sure they have every opportunity to make them.

If someone starts taking my Sunday morning parking place out by the dumpster, I will rejoice that someone else is catching the vision of making sure that everyone else has a shot at a better parking place. I love our history. But I don't want our history to hinder our future. It is brighter than ever.

1 comment:

Kayla Coffey said...

Good, I was wondering when you would notice the shingles. :)