Monday, May 25, 2009

Artistic People

Carole and I went to the Paseo arts festival for a while today. I love and appreciate artistic people even if I don't always understand them and am sometimes frustrated by their points of view. But I sense something about them. I sense that in many ways artistic people have a greater sensitivity for spiritual things than do typical conservative Christians. Typically (and I generalize at my own peril) artistic people are not as concerned with organizations and structures as they are with expression and variety. And there is something very God-like about that. A God who created all that we see, with all of its variety, beauty, and complexity will not limit himself to being praised with only one posture, physical environment, or style.

I don't know many truly artistic people. I know many creative people, but there is a difference. Today I bumped into one of the few artistic people I know. He knows the Lord, but has found no enjoyment in conventional mainstream Christianity. I pray for him occasionally when he comes to mind. I wish I could reach out to him on a deeper level because he would benefit from a deeper walk with God and I would benefit from a deeper friendship with him. Artistic people who really know God in spirit and in truth create the great art and music that stand the test of time. They cause those like me who will never be able to see the world the way they see it to wish for a glimpse of what lies beyond the predictable. They make me want to see the transcendent.

No comments: