Saturday, December 13, 2008

It's a Wonderful LIfe

I just finished watching "A Wonderful Life" for about the zillionth time, and I still am amazed at what a desipicable person Mr. Potter is. I also tear up every time at the end of the movie as the people whose lives were touched by George Bailey come with their gifts to help George out of his jam. As the characters come forward, we remember how they were affected by the simple and kind things that George did for them. He gave of himself and gave others preeminence over his own plans and dreams. The message left in the book from Clarence sums it up: "No man is a failure who has friends."

Being a middle aged man, I often think about the life I have lived and the opportunities that are yet to come. I wonder sometimes how I will be remembered. And I often think of an old song that is not sung much these days except by me to myself:

I wonder have I given my best to Jesus,
Who died upon that cruel tree.
To think of his great sacrifice on Calvary,
I know he must expect the best from me.
I wonder, have I cared enough for others,
or have I let them die alone.
I might have helped some wanderer find the savior,
the seeds of precious life I might have sown.
How many are the lost that I have lifted,
How many are the chained I've helped to free.
I wonder, have I done my best for Jesus,
when he has done so much for me.

We all have George Bailey opportunities to impact someone else's life every day. How will you be remembered?

No comments: