Saturday, December 20, 2008

HDWRTYA part 4

I know that the last post comes across as harsh and jaded, but in many churches across the nation, and at some level, my own church, that is the reality. And if I hadn't painted the picture so clearly, you would have lost interest in the post or failed to see what is happening. Now, you are either mad at me, or agreeing with me. Either way, you are probably interested to see where I am going with this.



Another reality is the main topic of this series of posts, the young adult. Now, please recognize that I am 52 years old, so I haven't been a young adult for some time. Also, many of the things I will say are gross generalizations and won't apply to everyone, just as the story I wove in the previous posts won't apply to every church.



The young people I have talked to in the past year aren't really impressed with organizations and structures as much as they are by having and experience with God in community with others. Denominational branding isn't all that important to them. They do, however, want to experience God personally. And if the gospel or theological teaching comes to them from someone they know is living a life filled with aggravations similar to what they are experiencing, the will receive the teaching passionately. They are also very interested in social justice and they are invested in living out the gospel in a real way. Many would rather help others with their tithes than to build a comfortable place to meet.

It sounds like they are perfect, doesn't it? Well, we're not, and neither are they. If they grew up in traditional church, many are terribly mistrustful of anything having to do with the traditional church. As a result, they miss out on opportunities to relate to (and reverse mentor) some of the older believers who could really be an asset in their lives.

So where am I going with all this? Next post I will try to come to a conclusion.

No comments: