Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sister Hill is the Coolest Person Ever!


Alma Hill is awesome. She and her husband Mel were missionaries in West Africa for like a bazillion years and is one of those people who you respect for what they have done and one of those people who you would never ask to do something out of the ordinary. Even though I am a very informal person, she is a person I cannot call anything other than Sister Hill. Last week I was at the Light for the Lost banquet at the Inner City Church. The workers from Inner City were wearing t-shirts like the one in the picture. There are two meanings to the shirt. The expressed meaning is spelled out on the back of the shirt where it says "I will make you fishers of men". The other meaning is even more compelling in that Jesus loves us even before we come to him. The shirt is intended to provoke conversation and it does.

In visiting with Greg Tiffany, who is the Oklahoma director for campus ministry, I jokingly told him that I would contribute $100 to campus ministry if he could get Sister Hill to wear one of those "Jesus Loves Hookers" t-shirts to Lakeside on Sunday morning. I never dreamed that Greg would have the nerve to ask such a thing of Sis. Hill, and it never occurred to me that she might actually do it, but he had the nerve and she wore the shirt.

That is so cool. She was willing to forego her own tastes and preferences to help college students in their walk with God. She is an example for us all.

1 comment:

mjalfaro said...

I LOVE Sis. Hill!!!! She's my hero!