Sunday, October 19, 2008

Drag Racing is no drag!

Saturday I went to the drag races, (sore kidney and all) at Thunder Valley Raceway near Noble, Oklahoma. Why would I do such a thing? Because my son-in-law's dad is a drag racer in the Top Sportsman category. I always thought that drag racing was simply a matter of getting the most power out of the loudest car possible and going from 0 to 900 or so mph in 4 or 5 seconds.

As I observed and visited with my son-in-law, Mark, (who fathered the smartest and best looking child in the universe, so I like him a lot) I learned that there is actually strategy involved in drag racing. It was really quite intricate and involved. What appeals to me is that with my short attention span, strategy that plays out in four and one half seconds is strategy that I can keep up with.

It is always a good day for me when I can learn something I didn't know before, especially if it involves something I really didn't know anything about before. So Saturday was a good day.

No comments: