Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What if I really believed?

How would I live if I lived as though I really believe all that I profess? If I really believe that to live is Christ and to die is gain, shouldn't I be doing more things that appear to be risky for God? If I really believe that my God will supply all my needs according to His riches, shouldn't I be releasing more of what I have to further the spread of the Gospel? If I really believe that if I seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness that all the things will be added, wouldn't my decision process be a lot simpler? If I really believe that all things work for good for those who love him, shouldn't I spend less time asking "why" and more time asking "how"? And if I believe that miraculous occurrances come about only by fasting and praying, shouldn't I be spending more time fasting and praying?

What I have been praying lately is, "Lord, I want to live like I believe what I profess." I'm a long way from being there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Randy. These are vital questions. I've asked myself many times (though still not enough) if I really believe what I'm saying about God and if it really is evident in my actions. Now, with God's help, I've started asking myself the first part ("Do I really believe?") less and less. I'm becoming more and more convinced that I do believe these things. The question I know I need to ask more often now is, "Am I doing anything about it?" Does the strength of my conviction move me to action? I've become convinced that the difference in faith and belief is action. As good ole' Gene Scott (yes, I'm actually quoting the controversial cigar smoking televangelist; truth is truth no matter who says it :)) said in his "ABC's of Faith," f-aith is an action, b-ased on a belief, sustained by our c-onfidence in who God really is. The point I'm making (through Scott) is no different than the one you've made here, save a subtle semantic difference. I just like the way Scott breaks it down and in so doing emphasizes our actions in the same way your post does.